Friday, September 23, 2005

Happy Birthday Ray


It’s been over a year since one of the most influential men in the history of American music left this world. Ray Charles was born Ray Charles Robinson on September 23, 1930 in Albany, Georgia. He began to loose his sight around age five and was left completely in the dark by age seven. His name was shortened to Ray Charles after entering show business to avoid confusion with the famous boxer Sugar Ray Robinson.
Ray Charles was a revolutionary American pianist and soul singer who helped shape the sound of rhythm and blues and brought a soulful sound to everything from country music to pop standards to a now-iconic rendition of "America the Beautiful."
Ray Charles died on June 10th, 2004.

As a guitar player, my musical roots are grounded firmly in the blues. I would sit alone in my room, picking out the songs of the greats, all the while experiencing the pain and anguish of blues masters hailing from years past in a way that no other kid my age could have. I felt emotions that can only be shared through music, and not just felt them but harbored them deep in my soul. Even now, supposedly cool, calm and collected I still can't listen to "You Don't Know Me" or "Drown in my own Tears" without tearing up.

They call him the "genius" and they call him the "father of soul." As for me I don't know what to call him, and if I could meet him today I wouldn't know what to say except, "Thank you."

In memory of Ray Charles (1930-2004)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home